Sunday, March 25, 2012

Princess.


So Helen and I were talking the other day and she was describing one of her friends "She always dresses so nicely...she always looks like a princess." I kept thinking about it the rest of the day and I realized that I have really changed. I used to be one of those girls who would get angry and shut out anybody (especially giving an all-girl talks at a retreat) saying "You're all princesses! You're all worthy of love! You're all beautiful!" While other girls would get all happy and hug each other, I would turn off all emotions and refuse it. "No. You don't know me. Stop telling me those lies." Obviously deep down I knew I wanted to be those things but I felt they were unobtainable for me. I felt like I was being taunted. 
When Helen described her friend as "like a princess" I didn't feel jealous. I've changed. By growing closer to God I've learned to see myself as what I am. HIS. 
I am not my own - I am His! 
Words cannot describe how much comfort that brings me. I am not my own.  It doesn't matter what others think of me or what my worth is in terms of this world. My value is determined by Somebody unchanging. I am His and so I have an undeniable worth as His creation. 
God doesn't create things that are worthless. All of His creations are to be treasured, protected, admired, valued and taken care of.  
Now when I think of somebody with a "princess mindset" I do not think of some pretty, bratty girl thinking she is owed the world saying "I'm worth soo much! Give me your love cuz you owe it to me. I'm so dang special." <.<... No, now I think of a calm acceptance and an aknowledgement of one's worth or at least I think that is ideal. 
I think that type of mindset is truly feminine and that dressing well and modestly is a great way to reflect that and reminding yourself and others of the great dignity you have as God's creation.

No comments:

Post a Comment