Sunday, February 12, 2012

On Dressing Well.

There seems to be a general view that people who pay a lot of attention to the way they dress are silly and vain; I disagree. True, when taken too far caring for one's appearance can lead to vanity and by no means should it be the center of one's life. We should feel most confident in who we are in our Creator and our God and not care to please others, but, as material creatures we cannot be free from all material matters. I think dressing well (modestly) is good because it presents the wearer as having respect for the creation that is themselves.
One of the reasons I like watching old movies (other than the clean, clever humor and good plots) is the way people dress - they're seemingly held to a higher standard that we are today. Lately, I've been trying to take more time in how I dress when I go places - especially work. Usually at work I just wear a t-shirt and jeans but lately I've been wearing more skirts or dressing up the t-shirt by tucking it in and adding a sweater. Just these little things really improve my mood. Taking the time to present myself well makes me feel more confident and, as somebody who has always struggled with body image, it helps me see my body as God's good creation no matter it's size. Dressing well can add a little bit of beauty to the world (click here!) and show the intrinsic dignity and respect we, as men, have. So, I do not think caring about how one dresses is wrong - I think it has many benefits. Helen and I will try to get some photos on here soon!
Have a great day :)

No comments:

Post a Comment