Sunday, June 17, 2012

"Grief Should Be Like Joy..."

As a graduation present my mom bought me A Book of Religious Verse. Around the same time I picked up The Oxford Book of English Verse and The Oxford Book of American Verse (for free!) at a book sale; as you might expect, I've been reading a lot of poetry and it's been showing up on my other blog. One thing that always strikes me is how God unites everybody together. I just find it so awesome to read this poetry written in the 1500's that is filled with thoughts and feelings I too have experienced.  Our God is an eternal God. He never ever changes. He inspired the same love and devotion 1,000 years ago as He did now as He will 1,000 in the future! We are all connected as being creatures of the same glorious Lord and by striving to serve Him.

This poem just really helped me through the day yesterday. I've been posting poetry on my other blog so I thought I'd give it a break and share it with you guys!

Sorrow
by: Aubrey De Vere (1814 -1902)
Count each affliction, whether light or grave,
God's messenger sent down to thee; do thou
With courtesy receive him; rise and bow;
And, ere his shadow pass thy threshold, crave
Permission first his heavenly feet to lave;
Then lay before him all thou hast; allow
No cloud of passion to usurp thy brow,
Or mar thy hospitality; no wave
Of mortal tumult to obliterate 
The soul's marmored calmness: Grief should be,
Like joy, majestic, equable, sedate;
Confirming, cleansing, raising, making free;
Strong to consume small troubles; to commend
Great thoughts, grave thoughts, thoughts lasting to the end.

"Grief should be like joy...confirming, cleansing, raising, making free" that's my favorite part. Sorrows allow us to show our love to our Savior; it raises us up to Him. It frees us from the luxuries and vanity of this world and teaches us to live for what really matters. 

No comments:

Post a Comment